Fireplace Safety in Monroe County 10/25/18
- Never use your hands when handling burning logs. Make sure to use fireplace tools.
- Adults should never leave a child unattended to play near the fireplace when in use. Keep fireplace tools and equipment away from children.
- Keep the screen closed to prevent sparks from escaping onto carpeting, make sure to keep the glass open to allow airflow up the chimney to cool it down.
- In the event sparks do fly out, make sure to have a nonflammable rug in front of your fireplace. These are available at any fireplace supply store.
- Prior to using your fireplace open a window a few inches to prevent the room from becoming filled with smoke.
- Before making a fire test to see if the smoke will go up the chimney by lighting match and quickly blowing in out. If the smoke is going up, you are safe to start your fire.
- To clean up ashes never use a vacuum because there may be live coals.
- Your chimney should be inspected by a certified chimney sweep at least once a year or after 80 fires. Have them show you how to check for yourself when the chimney needs to be cleaned.