What is Causing Home Fires?
We at SERVPRO of Monroe, Randolph & Washington Counties know that the more informed our neighbors are, the safer they are from disasters like home fires. There are many causes of home fires, but some are more prevalent than others. We listed out the top five causes of home fires below:
The leading cause of home fires in the United States is cooking. Most often, these fires are caused by unattended stoves or ovens. Grease fires also heavily contribute to this statistic because of their unpredictable nature and unconventional methods to deal with them. If you ever have a grease fire in your home, DO NOT use water. Rather, use a metal lid, ample baking soda, or a fire extinguisher to suffocate it.
#2 Heating Appliances
Devices such as space heaters and furnaces are also susceptible to catching objects around them on fire. Much like with cooking, heating appliances left unattended can cause heavy fire damage. Check on your heating appliances for signs of damage or misuse often to avoid fire in your home.
#3 Electrical Gear
For electrical gear, often it is too many appliances plugged into one outlet, or an overheating/overused appliance that will start the fire damage in a home or business. Make sure your home or business stays safe by checking outlets for black marks or signs of sparking.
Unfortunately, arson is the number-four cause of fires in the United States.
#5 Smoking-Related Accidents
Always practice safe smoking habits if you or someone you know smokes in your home or building.
SERVPRO of Monroe, Randolph & Washington Counties is there for you in any fire damage situation, 24/7. If your home or business suffered fire damage of any kind, call your local experts at (618) 464-0300.