If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (618) 464-0300

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Shockingly Simple

3/22/2019 (Permalink)

Preventing electrical fires can be fairly easy… Taking care of one is a little more difficult. Electrical fires account for about $1.1 billion in property loss every year according to the NFPA (National Fire Protection Agency). To keep yourself and your property safe from electrical fires, follow these simple steps.

Crowded Outlets

Try not to overcrowd outlets. Too many electrical appliances plugged into a single outlet or power bar can start an electrical fire. Try to spread things out as much as you can and monitor the outlets for any signs sparking.

Check Your Wiring

Always check the wires or cables you use with your electrical appliances. Using faulty wiring or cables is very dangerous and can lead to an electrical fire. Make sure the appliance you are using is also working properly by testing it thoroughly before you put it to use.

Worst-Case

If an electrical fire were to start in your home, do not try to put it out with water. Doing so could electrocute you or make the fire worse. The best thing to do is to try to unplug the power source if possible. Smother the fire using baking soda or a class C fire extinguisher. If the fire is still growing after these steps, do not continue to try to fight it. Leave the area and call the emergency services.


Being knowledgeable of the dangers of electrical fires can help you avoid them and avoid property damage. If your home or business does experience an electrical fire, allow SERVPRO of Monroe, Randolph & Washington Counties to restore everything back to pre-disaster condition. Call us 24/7 at (618) 464-0300.

Other News

View Recent Posts