If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (618) 464-0300

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Get Stoked for Chimney Maintenance this Winter Season in Valmeyer

12/16/2019 (Permalink)

A chimney on fire Protect your chimney today by taking these home-saving precautions.

Your chimney may seem like one of the most low-tech objects in your home, but if not properly maintained can cause a chimney fire or even start a fire in your living room. As we all stoke our fireplaces to keep warm this winter, remind yourself to check for soot buildup often. The more you know about the dangers of chimneys, the better prepared you can be to prevent fires.

Creosote & Soot

Creosote, a combustible, tar-like substance, is a byproduct of burning wood. The more wood you burn, the wetter and greener the wood, and the less airflow the chimney gets, the more creosote builds in your chimney. This ruins ventilation and increases the risk of fire. 

Buildup of soot in your chimney can also be messy. As the fireplace gets less and less ventilation due to soot sticking to the inside of the chimney, the more soot gets pulled back into the home, causing blackened carpets and floors. This kind of soot damage is difficult to clean without the proper professional equipment. 

Tips

Following these tips is good practice to avoid fire damage in your home or business.

  1. Only burn dry, cured wood.
  2. Use only wood. Painted wood or other flammable materials may seem like good kindling, but can release chemicals into the air or cause more soot to build up.
  3. Close your damper when the fireplace is not in use to prevent warm indoor air from rushing out the chimney. 
  4. Install carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors in your home.

If your home or business ever has fire damage, let the experts handle everything. SERVPRO of Monroe, Randolph & Washington Counties can completely restore any amount of fire damage you have. Call us 24/7 at (618) 464-0300.

Other News

View Recent Posts