Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Your Safety is Important
We at SERVPRO of Monroe, Randolph & Washington Counties know how dangerous water damage can prove to be to a home or business. Our top priority is safety, so when we arrive at your water-damaged home or building, our first question is, “Is everyone safe?”
When water damage caused a basement ceiling to collapse in a Red Bud, IL home, SERVPRO arrived quickly to make sure everyone was safe, assessed the damage, and got to work, restoring it to pre-disaster condition. If your home or business is suffering from water damage, follow these safety tips:
- Look out for electrical and slipping hazards
- Stay outside if it is unsafe indoors
- Be careful with water-soaked objects; They can be heavy!
Then, call your SERVPRO of Monroe, Randolph and Washington Counties to make it “Like it never even happened”.
Call the experts at (618) 464-0300.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (618) 464-0300
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.